The GW8 FPL Snapshot

Hey you guys! Another week of FPL in the books and another shocking week for me! Fortunately there are another 31 weeks to go though, so let’s get right into it!

As always, stats are courtesy of both Fantasy Football Hub and Fantasy Football Scout and the article focuses on:

  • Positional matchups, such as the wingers vs the fullbacks for FPL relevant players.
  • Fantasy Points Against and Player Form
  • Key stats, such as Shots, xG, xGC, Big Chances created by teams/conceded by teams
  • Saves, shots faced etc

Let’s dive in…

Brighton vs Burnley

Goalkeepers:

Mat Ryan (£4.5m) was “rested” for the Spurs game and replaced by Robert Sanchez (£4.5m). Sanchez saved 2 of the 3 shots on target he faced. Ryan has 7 saves from 18 so far and you’d assume he starts this week, against a Burnley team that are 16th for shots (34), joint last for shots on target (11) and last for shots in the box taken over the last 4 weeks. In respect to Brighton’s defensive numbers over the same period, they are top for least shots conceded (30), joint top for least shots in the box conceded (15) and 5th for least shots on target conceded. A Brighton clean sheet wouldn’t surprise me here. Nick Pope (£5.5m) has made 19 saves from 30 shots on target faced, including 6 from 9 in the defeat to Chelsea. He comes up against a Brighton side that, over the last 4 gameweeks, are 12th for shots taken (42), joint last for shots on target (11) and 11th for shots in the box (26). Defensively, Burnley over the same period are 9th for most shots conceded (46), 11th for most shots in the box conceded (29) and 4th for most shots on target conceded. Brighton need to get some more shots on target in order to start getting results.

Defenders:

Tariq Lamptey (£4.7m) got on the scoresheet against Spurs and continues to impress as a budget option. With the wealth of options at this price point, he’s the only Brighton defender I’d be considering at the moment. As Solly March occupies the left wing, we will see them come up against Charlie Taylor (£4.5m) and Matt Lowton (£4.4m). In terms of Chance Creation over the last 4 Gameweeks, Brighton are ranked 10th for chances created on the left flank (36.7%), 6th for right flank (33.3%), and 16th centrally (30%). Burnley are ranked 13th for chances created on the left flank (36%), 9th on the right flank (28%) and 10th for chances conceded centrally (36%).

In terms of Chance Concession over the same time frame, Brighton are ranked 14th for chances conceded down their left flank (7), 20th down their right flank (7) and 20th centrally (7). Burnley have conceded the 2nd most chances on their left flank (16), 17th most on the right flank (8) and 7th most centrally (13). That left flank is Lamptey country and he could potentially get more attacking returns here. Combined with the fact that Brighton aren’t conceding many chances, a clean sheet isn’t off the table either. It is also worth noting that Burnley have conceded the 4th most headed attempts on goal in the last 4 weeks, and 3rd most from set pieces. Dan Burn (£4.4m) and Adam Webster (£4.4m) could profit here.

Midfielders:

I have to say that none of the midfielders have impressed me enough in the last 4 games to warrant serious discussion here. As a cheap enabler, I like Solly March (£5m) or Yves Bissouma (£4.5m) but thats it really.

Forwards:

Neal Maupay (£6.5m) was dropped for the Spurs game, with rumours it was due to a row with a teammate/attitude problems. I’d imagine he comes back into the fray this week, against a Burnley side that are 4th for most shots on target conceded. He’ll need to be firing to help Brighton here. Neither Ashley Barnes (£6m) or Chris Wood (£6.3m) are in my thoughts currently and Brighton aren’t giving up loads of shots, so that’s all I’ll say about them.

Source: mirror.co.uk

Southampton vs Newcastle

Goalkeepers:

Alex McCarthy (£4.5m) has saved 19 shots from 30 shots on target faced, and 7 from 10 against Villa in the previous gameweek. The potential for a clean sheet is there this week, against a Newcastle side that are ranked 17th for shots taken (33), 14th for shots on target (15) and 19th for shots in the box (18) over the last 4 gameweeks. Defensively, Southampton are ranked 9th for least shots conceded (41), 12th for least shots in the box conceded (31) and 12th for shots on target conceded (19). Karl Darlow (£5m) is still ticking along nicely, with 34 saves from 45 shots on target, including 3 from 4 in Gameweek 7. He comes up against a Southampton side that are 9th for shots taken (48), 3rd for shots on target (23) and 8th for shots in the box (31) over the last 4 gameweeks. Defensively, Newcastle are ranked 2nd for most shots conceded (66), 5th most shots in the box conceded (34) and 2nd most shots on target conceded (24). A 4-6 week injury timeframe has been given to Danny Ings however, so their offensive output could be severely damaged for a while.

Defenders:

Jannik Vestergaard (£4.6m) has scored either 6/7 points in each of his last 5 gameweeks, with a mixture of goals and clean sheets.. His fixtures do get a bit more difficult soon, but with the stats mentioned above, a Saints clean sheet wouldn’t surprise me here. There aren’t any Newcastle defenders on my radar currently.

Looking at Chance Creation over the last 4 gameweeks, Southampton are 12th for left flank chances created (36.1%), ranked 14th for chances created on the right flank (25%) and ranked 6th for chances created centrally (38.9%). Newcastle are ranked 19th on the left flank (24%), 3rd on the right flank (40%) and 9th centrally (36%). This indicates most of Southamptons creativity is central, whereas Newcastle do the majority of their business on the right hand side.

Looking at Chance Concession over the same period, The Saints are ranked 12th on their left flank (8 chances conceded), 7th on the right flank (15) and 16th centrally (8). Newcastle are ranked 7th for chances conceded on the left flank (10), 1st for chances conceded on their right flank (21), and 1st centrally (23). With all of this information, I’d imagine Southampton can get some success centrally, as that is clearly where they like to operate and it’s a weak area for Newcastle. Ryan Bertrand (£5m) could also get joy if they choose to target Newcastle’s right flank as well. I don’t think any other Newcastle/Saints assets are worth discussion right now.

Midfielders:

James Ward-Prowse (£5.9m) has 3 goals and an assist in his last 2 games to put him back on the watchlist. 2 absolute worldie free kicks against Villa has seen managers flock to buy him. He could find joy against a toothless Newcastle side, but his reliance on set plays does hinder his ceiling a little bit. He is likely on penalties with Ings out, so is one to monitor. I’m not considering any other midfielders in this game as it stands.

Forwards:

With the news that Danny Ings (£8.5m) is set to miss 4-6 weeks with a knee injury, Che Adams (£5.8m) will be leading the line, potentially with Shane Long (£5.2m). I think the loss of Ings really hinders The Saints attacking output, so we’ll have a look at them this week and see what information we can gather. However, Newcastle are conceding plenty of shots, so we’ll have to see how much the loss of Ings affects them against a side like Newcastle. Callum Wilson (£6.5m) has 6 goals from 7 shots on target, and is looking like the talisman of this team. I’d imagine a lot of Ings owners move to someone like Wilson, and with Southampton middling in the shots metrics, we’ll have to see if Newcastle can create enough to get something out of this game.

Everton vs Man United

Goalkeepers:

Jordan Pickford (£5m) appeared to have been dropped for the game against Newcastle, with a few high profile mistakes made recently. A record of 18 saves from 27 shots on target wasn’t enough for him to retain his place, as he was replaced by Robin Olsen (£4.5m) who made 2 saves from 4 shots on target on his debut. Over the last 4 gameweeks, United are 5th for shots taken (55), 5th for shots on target (22) and 10th for shots in the box (28). Defensively, Everton are 4th for most shots conceded (57), 3rd for most shots in the box conceded (38) and 6th for most shots on target conceded (21) over the same time period. Whoever the Everton keeper is this week, they could be busy. David De Gea (£5.4m) has saved 13 shots from 25 shots on target faced, and 1 from 2 in the 1-0 defeat to Arsenal in Gameweek 7. This week he comes up against an Everton side that are 11th for shots taken (43), 9th for shots on target (17) and 12th for shots in the box (24) over the last 4 weeks. United defensively over the last 4 are 11th for most shots conceded (42), 13th for most shots in the box conceded (26) and 14th for most shots on target conceded (15). They’ve been pretty suspect defensively in the CL this week, so I’m not sure which United side will turn up here.

Defenders:

Over the last 4 weeks, Harry Maguire (£5.4m) has had 8 shots with 6 of these in the box and 1 goal. I’m still steering clear of United defenders though. Although they play West Brom next week, I just don’t trust them. Everton will have Lucas Digne (£6.1m) back from suspension and this will be a welcome sight, as he is one of their more creative players. Much like United however, I’m not sure I can trust any of their defenders right now.

In terms of Chance Creation over the last 4 gameweeks, Everton are 14th for chances created on their left flank (33.3%), 15th on the right (25%) and 3rd centrally (41.7%). United are 3rd for chances created on their left flank (45.8%), bottom for chances created on their right flank (14.6%) and 4th for chances created centrally (39.6%).

Looking at Chance Concession over the same period, Everton are ranked 6th for most chances conceded on their left flank (11), 8th for the right flank (14) and 6th most for chances conceded centrally (13). United give up the 2nd least chances left flank (4), 6th most on the right flank (16) and 5th most centrally (13). Both teams create and concede a lot of chances centrally. United will likely use a combination of Luke Shaw (£4.9m) and Marcus Rashford to target Ben Godfrey (£5m) or Jonjoe Kenny (£4.3m), who was playing really high up against Newcastle. If this is a tactic used against United, I can see him getting caught out.

United’s main source of chance creation is down their left hand side. Whoever plays as Everton’s right back won’t want to get caught out, and with Kenny’s average position this high up, they could be punished.

Midfielders:

James Rodríguez (£7.9m) should be back fit for this game, and Everton will be glad to have him back. Their creator in chief, he has 2 goals and 2 assists in the last 4 gameweeks, and FPL owners will hope he’s back amongst it against a questionable United defence. With Martial back from his ban, Marcus Rashford (£9.6m) will likely be back on the left wing, up against Kenny/Godfrey. He could give them a torrid time and will be linking up with Bruno Fernandes (£10.5m) to try and break Everton down. Ahead of a plum game against West Brom next week, it will be interesting to see how United perform against an Everton team that have started the season strongly. Over the last 4 gameweeks, Rashford is only behind Mo Salah for Midfielders in terms of shots on target. He was playing up front in the absence of Martial though, so it will be interesting to see if this regresses at all.

Forwards:

Anthony Martial (£8.7m) is back from suspension now, and United fans will hope he can bring his CL form into the league now. Dominic Calvert-Lewin (£7.7m) scored yet another goal in the defeat to Newcastle, and he doesn’t look like slowing down. Only behind Bamford for shots on target in his last 4 games, he will be confident after seeing United’s terrible performance in midweek, and hope he can get The Toffees an important victory.

Crystal Palace vs Leeds

Goalkeepers:

Vicente Guaita (£5m) has 20 saves from 31 shots on target, with 3 from 5 GW7 against Wolves. This week he comes up against a Leeds side that are 2nd with 63 shots taken, have had 22 shots on target (4th) and 50 shots in the box (1st) over the last 4 gameweeks. Defensively, Palace are on 68 shots conceded (most), 43 in the box (most), and have had the 13th most shots on target conceded (17) in the same time period. Illan Meslier (£4.5m) has 20 saves from 33 shots on target, with 4 from 8 in the GW7 defeat to Leicester. This week he faces a Palace side who have struggled in terms of attacking. They’ve taken 30 shots (20th), have had 13 shots on target (16th) and 20 shots in the box (17th) in the last 4 gameweeks. Defensively, Leeds can be got at. With 52 shots conceded (6th most) 36 shots in the box conceded (4th most) and 17 shots on target conceded (13th most), Palace could get some success. However their attacking stats are practically rock bottom for the whole league.

Defenders:

The pair of Luke Ayling (£4.5m) and Stuart Dallas (£4.5m) are always worth consideration at their price point, with Ayling playing 7 key passes and creating 2 big chances in his last 4 games and with Dallas always looking like a goal threat, with the occasional OOP appearance. Patrick van Aanholt (£5.4m) could also be worth consideration now he is starting again too.

Looking at the teams and their Chance Creation stats, Palace create 42.9% of their chances on the left flank (5th), 33.3% on the right flank (5th) and only 23.8% centrally (last). Leeds create 36.7% on their left (10th), 26.5% on their right flank (12th) and 36.7% centrally (8th).

Comparing this with Chance Concession, Palace have conceded 17 chances down their left flank (1st), 20 down the right flank (2nd) and 17 centrally (4th). Leeds have conceded 6 down their left flank (18th), 11 down the right flank (11th), and 23 centrally (2nd).

Palace are in the top 5 teams for creation on the flanks, but concede the highest numbers there too. Leeds concede a lot centrally, but Palace are bottom for creation here. I think the Ayling vs van Aanholt battle could be interesting but in all honesty, it looks like Leeds could hurt them all over the pitch.

Midfielders:

Wilfried Zaha (£7.4m) looks like the only Palace asset worth owning really. As we found in the defeat to Wolves though, he blows hot and cold, registering just 2 shots, neither of which were on target. He could find himself with opportunity against an expansive Leeds side though, but I just don’t know if he’s trustworthy. With the Milivojevic suspension though, we at least know he’s on penalties for the foreseeable. I like the mid priced Leeds midfielders, but special mention to Jack Harrison (£5.5m) of them all, with 17 key passes and 4 big chances created so far this season, he is looking like decent value. An assist against Leicester reminded us of his talents.

Forwards:

Michy Batshuayi (£5.8m) has been starting in recent weeks and, whilst there are better options at his price point, he could get something here. Leeds can be got at as mentioned above, but it all depends on if Palace can actually create something. 4 shots, 2 on target in his last 3 games could mean Leeds need to keep an eye on him. Patrick Bamford (£6m) had 4 shots, 3 big chances and 0 goals against Leicester. Echoes of his Championship form came back to haunt him. I’d still start him this week against Palace based on their defensive stats alone. If Leeds play like they can do, and Bamford gets his shooting boots back on, he could feast.

Chelsea vs Sheffield United

Goalkeepers:

Edouard Mendy (£5.1) has saved all 4 of the shots on target hes faced so far this season. Since he’s came in, Chelsea have kept 6 clean sheets in all competitions in a row. What a signing! This week he comes up against a pretty blunt Sheffield United (SHU) attack. In the last 4 they have had 32 shots (18th), 11 were on target (18th) and 18 were in the box (18th). Chelsea defensively have had 36 shots conceded (17th), 19 of which were in the box (18th) and only 10 on target (19th). A clean sheet looks pretty likely here, based on these numbers. Aaron Ramsdale (£4.9m) has made 28 saves from 39 shots on target so far, including 7 from 8 in GW7. He’s likely to be busy again. This week looking at Chelseas attacking stats over the last 4:

  • 10th for shots taken (48)
  • 7th for shots on target (21)
  • 6th for shots in the box (34)

SHU defensively haven’t been great either. In that same time period they are 5th for most shots conceded (54), 5th for most shots in the box conceded (34) and 2nd for most shots on target conceded (24). Whilst they don’t concede a lot of actual goals, the opportunities for Chelsea should be there.

Defenders:

Looking at Chance Creation over the last 4, Chelsea have created 27.8% of their chances on their left flank (18th), 33.3% on the right flank (8th) and 38.9% centrally (5th). SHU have created 28% on their left flank (17th), 44% on the right flank (1st) and 28% centrally (18th).

Comparing this with Chance Concession over the last 4 Chelsea have conceded 7 chances on their left flank (15th), 8 on the right flank (18th), and 13 centrally (8th). SHU have conceded 10 on their left flank (8th), 19 on their right flank (3rd) and 10 centrally (11th).

While Chelsea are 18th for chance creation on Ben Chilwell (£5.9m) side, SHU are 3rd for chances conceded that side. He is well worth a spot in your team right now with 9 key passes (2 assists) and also 3 shots (2 on target) in his last 4 games. Another defender to mention is Kurt Zouma (£5.2m) who now has 3 goals in 6 games. Over the last 4 games, SHU have conceded the most headed attempts, so Zouma could continue his streak here. I currently can’t see much value in the SHU defenders.

Midfielders:

Much like the defenders, I can’t see any value in the SHU midfield right now. Looking at Chelsea assets, Hakim Ziyech (£8m) is the name on most managers lips right now. Performing in Europe and then doing well against Chelsea with a goal and assist, there’s a lot of chat suggesting Chelsea are starting to click. With Kai Havertz (£8.4m) suffering from Coronavirus and Christian Pulisic (£8.3m) being an injury doubt, Ziyech is likely the midfielder to get things going for Chelsea ahead of the international break. His heatmap against Burnley can illustrate how high up he could be playing in this side.

The most centrally advanced of all Chelsea’s players v Burnley, could Ziyech be the missing piece of the Chelsea puzzle?

Forwards:

Rhian Brewster (£4.5m) is the only SHU forward I would consider right now, purely as a good first bench option. As his fixtures get better, he could even be a starter, but SHU need to be a lot more attacking first. Timo Werner (£9.3m) is now on penalties and starting to regain peoples interest. Depending on where he plays, he could do well here. 3 goals and an assist in his last 3 games plus scoring penalties in the CL, this could be his scoring burst just getting started. Tammy Abraham (£7.2m) could also start working his way back into the fold if Werner continues on the left, getting a goal himself in the CL in midweek.

Source: independent.co.uk

West Ham vs Fulham

Goalkeepers:

Lukasz Fabianski (£5m) has made 17 saves from 25 shots on target, saving 4 from 5 in GW7. Looking at his opponents this week, Fulham have had the 6th most shots (54), 10th most on target (17) and 7th most shots in the box (31) over the last 4 gameweeks. Defensively, West Ham are 15th for shots conceded (38), 16th for shots in the box conceded (20) and 11th for shots on target conceded (18) in the same timeframe.

Alphonse Areola (£4.5m) has made 23 saves from 34 shots on target, including 1 from 1 against West Brom in GW7. In what is expected to be a plum fixture for West Ham, Areola could be busy. Over the last 4, West Ham are 13th for most shots (37), 13th for shots on target (15) and 9th for shots in the box (28). Fulham defensively are 7th for shots conceded (48), 10th for shots in the box conceded (30) and 5th for shots on target conceded (22). Crystal Palace managed to create plenty against this Fulham side, so a West Ham side full of confidence should, in theory at least, have no problem.

Defenders:

Before we try and identify any defenders worthy of our FPL squads, we’ll look at Chance Creation and Concession over the last 4. For Chance Creation, West Ham are ranked 9th for chances created on their left flank (37%), 13th on the right flank (25.9%) and 7th centrally (37%). Fulham are ranked 1st on the left flank (48.8%) 18th on the right flank (18.6%) and 14th centrally (32.6%).

In terms of Chance Concession over the last 4, West Ham are 10th for chances conceded on their left flank (9), 16th on the right flank (9), and 15th centrally (9). Fulham are ranked 3rd for chances conceded on their left flank (15), 12th on the right flank (10), and 18th centrally (8).

Fulham create everything down their left but are also most susceptible to chances conceded there too. There has been a lot of chat about West Ham defenders recently with a nice run coming up. If you can stretch to it, Aaron Cresswell (£5.1m) is the standout option. 3 assists in his last 4 games is joint top with Hector Bellerin for all defenders and he is also joint 2nd for key passes (7). Failing that, I also think Vladimir Coufal (£4.5m) is a nice option, especially given the stats above. Fulham create most of their stuff on the left side, but concede a lot down that side too. Coufal already has 2 assists in his last 4 and could be a nice budget option. If you do fancy a punt on that incredibly attacking left hand side of Fulham, Antonee Robinson (£4.4m) appears to be your guy. Also a shout out for Ola Aina (£4.5m) who plays right back for them. He scored a peach against West Brom, but we’re talking massive punts right now.

Midfielders:

Ademola Lookman (£5m) is a nice budget option if you need one, with 12 shots (7 in the box) being the most of all £5m and under midfielders since gameweek 5. In regards to West Ham, you’re looking at one of Tomas Soucek (£4.9m), Jarrod Bowen (£6.3m) or Pablo Fornals (£6.4m) depending on need or budget. If you’re just after an enabler, Soucek is worth consideration for his attacking stats, but if you want one with the opportunity to haul, its one of the other guys. I’ve run these guys through the Fantasy Football Hub comparison and prediction tools to see what comes up:

Bowen plays slightly further forward but Fornals has had a slightly higher goal threat. I think Bowen has the potential to be more explosive and so he would likely be my choice.

Forwards:

With a poor run of upcoming fixtures, there is no interest in Aleksandar Mitrovic (£5.8m) here. This would have been a prime game for Michail Antonio (£6.2m) but a hamstring injury means he is unlikely to feature. Therefore if anyone is feeling particularly “punty”, Seb Haller (£6.1m) could be your man. He didn’t manage a single shot in 73 minutes against Liverpool though.

West Brom vs Spurs

Goalkeepers:

Sam Johnstone (£4.5m) has made 28 saves from 44, including 2 from 6 in GW7. This week, he figures to be pretty busy when West Brom welcome Spurs. Over their last 4 games, Spurs are 8th for shots (51), 8th for shots on target (20) and 5th for shots in the box (34). Defensively, West Brom are 13th for most shots conceded (40), 14th for most shots in the box (23) and 8th for most shots on target conceded (20) over the same time period. Hugo Lloris (£5.5m) has saved 15 shots from 24 on target, including 1 from 2 in GW7. Over the last 4, West Brom are 14th for shots (37) 17th for shots on target with 12 (the 3 teams below them have had 11) and 16th for shots in the box (20). Defensively, Spurs are ranked 16th for most shots conceded (37), 17th for most shots in the box conceded (20) and 17th for most shots on target conceded (12). I struggle to see West Brom scoring here.

Defenders:

Looking at Chance Creation over the last 4 GWs, West Brom are ranked 16th for chances created on the left flank (30.8%), 2nd on the right flank (42.3%), and 19th centrally (26.9%). Spurs are ranked 6th for chances created on the left flank (40%), 10th on the right flank (27.5%) and 15th centrally (32.5%).

Looking at Chance Concession over the last 4, West Brom are ranked 17th for chances conceded on the left flank (7), 10th on the right flank (12) and 17th centrally (8). Spurs are ranked bottom for chances conceded on the left flank (4), 9th on the right flank (13) and 12th centrally (10). Spurs create a lot on their left and don’t concede many, so if we knew Sergio Reguilon (£5.6m) was available and going to start I’d think he would be a good option. As it is though, with Jose liking to rotate, neither West Brom or Spurs defenders are on my radar at the moment.

Midfielders:

No West Brom midfielders are on my radar anymore. A 2-0 defeat to Fulham has meant I can remove them for now. The main man to discuss here is Heung-Min Son (£9.6m). Nearly 60% of managers own him and we know that he performs better on the road, so he is a legitimate captaincy option once more. The only downside is how often he gets subbed off. His stats are still right up there, but he was restricted to only 1 shot against Brighton. I can’t see him having as much trouble here though. Gareth Bale (£9.5m) came on and got the winner here, and depending on the Spurs Europa League line up, he could be pushing for a start in the league. We need to wait and see on that one I think.

Forwards:

As there are better options at the £6m and under price point, I’ll skip West Brom strikers here. Harry Kane (£11m) is likely the stand out captaincy option this week and for good reason. 31 shots is only bettered by Salah, and he’s had the joint most shots on target. 6 goal and 8 assists means he’s the man to target this week.

Leicester vs Wolves

Goalkeepers:

Kasper Schmeichel (£5.5m) has saved 20 shots from 29 shots on target, with 3 from 4 in GW7. This week he comes up against a Wolves attack, that, over the last 4, are 7th for shots (52), 11th for shots on target (16) and 13th for shots in the box (24). Defensively, Leicester are ranked 8th for most shots conceded (47), 7th for most shots in the box conceded (32) and 10th for most shots on target conceded (18). Rui Patricio (£5.5m) has saved 18 from 26 shots on target faced, including 2 from 2 in the last gameweek. Over the last 4, Leicester are ranked 19th for shots (31), 12th for shots on target and 15th for shots in the box. Wolves defence over the same time period are ranked 14th for most shots conceded (39), 12th for most shots in the box conceded (27) and last for shots on target conceded (8). Leicester haven’t taken many shots recently and so it will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Defenders:

Looking at the Chance Creation over the last 4, Leicester are bottom for chances created on the left flank (18%), 4th on the right flank (38.9%) and top for chances created centrally (44.4%). Wolves are ranked 8th for chances created on the left flank (37.8%), 11th on the right flank (27%) and 13th centrally (35.1%).

In terms of Chance Concession over the last 4, Leicester are ranked 11th for chances conceded on the left flank (8), 4th on their right flank (19), and 10th centrally (11). Wolves are ranked 9th for chances conceded on the left flank (10), 15th on the right flank (9) and 14th centrally (9).

With Timothy Castagne (£5.7m) ruled out until after the International Break, I feel like there are no real assets in defence for Leicester. Wolves could target the Leicester right flank, so that could be Rayan Ait Nouri (£5m) who got 15 FPL points on his debut with a goal, clean sheet and max bonus points. Nelson Semedo (£5.5m) has had 4 shots (1 in the box), 1 big chance, and played 4 key passes in his last 4. He’ll be up against James Justin (£4.8m) this week who doesn’t get too far forward, so might have less joy than he would like. Max Kilman (£4.3m) appears nailed now and he is a great budget option.

Midfielders:

Daniel Podence (£5.5m) looked good again with a goal against Crystal Palace, but once more was subbed before full time. He leads the £5.5m and under midfielders for shots on target (5) and is one of the better assets at that price point, but doesn’t normally get 90 minutes. Both him and Pedro Neto (£5.5m) offer reasonable returns at that price. Leicester kicked into gear against Leeds with both Harvey Barnes (£6.9m) and James Maddison (£7m) getting returns. Barnes especially stands out above any other midfielder at his price point, as he leads all 3 shots metrics. He just needs to start converting more. Youri Tielemans (£6.4m) got his 2nd and 3rd goals of the season against Leeds, showing once more that he is on penalties when Jamie Vardy ha left the pitch. 2 substitute cameos and 2 assists for Cengiz Under (£5.9m) means we need to keep an eye on him as a cheater route into this attack, especially as their fixtures look quite nice from GW10.

Forwards:

Jamie Vardy (£10m) helped himself to a goal and 2 assists against Leeds and continues to perform despite minimal volume. 7 goals from 9 shots on target and a non penalty xG of 2.7 shows that it’s mainly been penalties keeping him afloat, but you can never rule him out. Raul Jimenez (£8.5m) only had 1 shot against Palace and whilst he is pretty consistent, there are potentially more explosive options out there at a cheaper price tag. I think Wolves will need to attack more than they’re used to in order to get success here, so Jimenez will be crucial to Wolves in this match.

Man City vs Liverpool

Goalkeepers:

Ederson (£6m) has saved 13 from 21 shots on target, including 1 from 1 in GW7. You’d assume he will be a lot busier this week as he faces Liverpool, who, over the last 4 weeks, are ranked 3rd for most shots (62), 2nd for most shots on target (26) and 2nd for most shots in the box (41). City are pretty stingy however. Over the same timeframe they are ranked 2nd for least shots conceded (32), 6th for least shots in the box conceded (22) and 5th for least shots on target conceded (13).

Alisson (£5.9m) has saved 8 shots from 14 shots on target faced, including 2 from 3 against West Ham in GW7. Much like Ederson, he could be busy this week, coming up against a City side ranked 1st for most shots (66), 6th for most shots on target (22), and 3rd for most shots in the box (40). Liverpool’s defensive frailties are well known, and over the last 4 they are ranked 10th for most shots conceded (46), 8th for most shots in the box conceded (32) and 7th for most shots on target conceded (21). I can’t see Liverpool keeping a clean sheet here.

Defenders:

First we will look at the Chance Creation for both sides over the last 4 gameweeks. City are ranked 7th for chances created on the left flank (38.8%), 19th on the right flank (18.4%) and 2nd centrally (42.9%). Liverpool are ranked 15th for chances created on their left flank (31%), 7th on the right flank (33.3%) and 11th centrally (35.7%).

Looking at their Chance Concession over the last 4, City are ranked 16th for chances conceded on the left flank – (7), 14th on the right flank (10), and 19th centrally (7). Liverpool are ranked 4th for most chances conceded on the left flank (14), 13th for the right flank (10) and 13th centrally (10). With Joao Cancelo (£5.4m) impressing since entering the team and Liverpool being 4th for chances conceded on the left, both Cancelo and Kyle Walker (£6.1m) could have joy here. Both have looked lively and Walker got the winning goal for City in GW7. They are coming up against Trent Alexander-Arnold (£7.4m) and Andy Robertson (£7.1m) though, who we know can exploit the space left in behind. A fascinating battle awaits. Trent especially has started to look better recently and has been unlucky not to register any FPL returns. He is top for shots (10) of all defenders and joint top for key passes (13). Ruben Dias (£5.5m) and Aymeric Laporte (£6m) are also great options, especially for a great fixture run from GW10. But I predict this to be a high scoring game.

Midfielders:

We don’t need to go into huge detail here. Mo Salah (£12.4m), Sadio Mane (£12m), Raheem Sterling (£11.6m), Kevin De Bruyne (£11.5m), Riyad Mahrez (£8.5m) and Phil Foden (£6.6m) are all well discussed and for the most part already part of our teams. This is the game of the weekend and we will see a lot of attacking talent on display. You’d assume the key men are Salah and KDB, but the man everyone is talking about is Diogo Jota (£6.4m). A hat trick in the CL against Atalanta has meant managers have been scrambling to get him in. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the bench though, but if he continues to start, he will be a key asset for many a FPL team.

Forwards:

Roberto Firmino (£9.3m) can’t be considered in FPL. There, I’ve said it. He needs to improve dramatically for that to happen, and he’s in danger of being dropped from the Liverpool team as well. Gabriel Jesus (£9.3m) returned midweek for City and could get the nod upfront this week in a huge game for both sides. How he gets on remains to be seen, but with tasty fixtures on the horizon, he’s one to watch.

Source: skysports.com

Arsenal vs Aston Villa

Goalkeepers:

Bernd Leno (£5m) has saved 18 shots from 24 shots on target faced, and 3 from 2(?) shots on target in GW7. Looking at Villa’s attacking stats over the last 4, they are 4th for most shots (59), 1st for shots on target (29) and 4th for shots in the box (39). Defensively, Arsenal over the last 4 are ranked 3rd for least shots conceded (33), bottom for least shots in the box conceded (15) and are 3rd for least shots on target conceded (11). A highly attacking team up against a team not conceding many shots.

Emi Martinez (£4.8m) has saved 20 shots from 30 shots on target faced, but 0 from 4 in GW7. Over their last 4, Arsenal are ranked 15th for most shots (36), 15th most shots on target (14) and 14th for most shots in the box (24). Defensively, Villa are 3rd for most shots conceded (61), 2nd for most shots in the box conceded (40), and top for most shots on target conceded (26). Villa are the more attacking team that are conceding more chances, Arsenal don’t concede a lot of shots but don’t take many. I do think Arsenal have the quality to keep Villa at bay and win this.

Defenders:

When looking at Chance Creation over the last 4, Arsenal are ranked 4th on the left flank (42.9%), 17th on the right flank (21.4%), and 12th centrally (35.7%). Villa are ranked 2nd on the left flank (46.7%), 16th on the right flank (24.4%), and 17th centrally (28.9%).

Looking at Chance Concession over the last 4, Arsenal are ranked 13th on the left flank (7 conceded), 19th on the right flank (7) and 9th centrally (12). Villa are ranked 5th on the left flank (12), 5th on the right flank (16) and 3rd centrally (19).

Villa create a lot and concede a lot on their left so this could be an interesting game for Hector Bellerin (£5.1m). Bellerin is joint 1st for assists (3) of all defenders and could see some success here. He’ll be up against Matt Targett (£4.5m). On the other side we see Kieran Tierney (£5.4) take on Matty Cash (£5m). These stats show us that all areas can be got at for Villa, so Arsenal could have multiple opportunities for you here.

Midfielders:

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (£11.7m) got the winning goal from the penalty spot against Man United last week and as always is The Gunner’s Talisman. Villa concede a lot of chances both on the left and centrally, so you’d assume he can get opportunities wherever he plays. Bukayo Saka (£5.3m) is starting to play more regularly now and he could be a nice budget option for Arsenal. 10 shots (8 in the box) and 5 on target in his last 4 suggest he’s one to watch. Jack Grealish (£7.4m) is quickly becoming a popular member of FPL manager’s teams and for good reason. 17 shots so far this season, 15 of which have been in the box and 4 goals/5 assists already, he is a great mid priced option. A goal and 2 assists in garbage time against Southampton turned an ok performance into a monster and whilst this is a difficult game for Villa, their run after this could well produce more hauls from him.

Forwards:

Ollie Watkins (£6m) didn’t do much yet again until a penalty against Southampton got him a goal and a bonus point. Whilst Villa have good fixtures, I wouldn’t be bringing him in. If you have him, keep him, but aside from the Liverpool game and that penalty against Southampton, his stats haven’t been great. Ignoring the Liverpool game, he’s had 10 shots, 3 on target and only 1 goal which was the penalty against Southampton. Alexandre Lacazette (£8.4m) seems to be starting again for Arsenal, but frankly at the moment there are better, cheaper options out there at the moment.

Well there we have it! Due to the short turnaround I haven’t done the one week picks at each position, but ultimately I think Son, Kane and the Chelsea defence are the prime options this week. I hope this has been helpful and as always, may your arrows be green!

@RichP_FPL

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s