The GW7 FPL Snapshot!

Well, that was yet another weird week in this crazy season of FPL! My team was doing well and above average, until Son stole my green arrow from right under my nose with his 11 pointer! Going to have to bring him in myself! But enough of GW6, let’s look forward to GW7!

As always, stats are courtesy of both Fantasy Football Hub and Fantasy Football Scout and the article focuses on:

  • Positional matchups, such as the wingers vs the fullbacks for FPL relevant players.
  • Fantasy Points Against and Player Form
  • Key stats, such as Shots, xG, xGC, Big Chances created by teams/conceded by teams
  • Saves, shots faced etc

Let’s dive in…

Wolves vs Crystal Palace

Goalkeepers:

Rui Patricio (£5.5m) will be disappointed to have conceded at his near post in the 1-1 draw with Newcastle. Prior to that, he had a fairly quiet game, saving the only other shot on target he faced. That’s now 16 saved from 24 shots on target faced, and 24 FPL points from 6 games. This week he comes up against Palace, who, as I write, have taken the 3rd least shots, 6th least shots on target and 5th least shots in the box (prior to Brighton vs West Brom and Burnley vs Spurs). Only 5 teams have had conceded more shots in the box than Wolves. Vicente Guaita (£5m) conceded a 95th minute worldie against Fulham to shatter FPL Managers hopes and dreams. He’d also had a quiet day saving 2 of 3 shots on target. Only Leeds and Newcastle have conceded more shots & shots in the box than Palace, and only 6 teams have conceded more shots on target. Only 4 teams have had less shots on target than Wolves, and only 3 teams have had less shots in the box. We could see these teams cancel each other out.

Defenders:

Patrick van Aanholt (£5.4m) got an 18-minute cameo against Fulham, replacing Nathaniel Clyne (£4.5m) as opposed to Tyrick Mitchell (£4.2m). This meant Mitchell played right back for the remainder of the contest. PVA managed to get 1 shot on target and you’d expect his playing time to increase this week. In terms of chance creation, the split for Palace is roughly 42% left hand side, 31% right hand side and 27% centrally. This week the Palace fullbacks will be coming up against Nelson Semedo (£5.5m) on the right wing and one of Romain Saiss (£5.2m) or Marcal (£4.9m) on the left wing. 41.2% of Wolves chances are created down their right-hand side, 27.5% centrally and 31.4% on their left flank.

When looking at both teams chance concession, only Leicester and Sheffield United (SHU) have conceded more chances down the right flank than both Palace and Wolves. Palace are also top for chances conceded down their left flank. This immediately highlights Semedo vs van Aanholt as a potentially fascinating battle. You have 2 teams conceding the most chances in the league down that respective flank doing battle. It’s worth remembering however, that these sides aren’t overly attacking, so don’t pin hopes and dreams on attacking returns. There are starting to be murmurs around Saiss being rested/dropped/whatever you want to call it, but as an owner myself, I’m holding until it actually happens, and will only reassess then.

Midfielders:

Daniel Podence (£5.5m) continues to look good on the eye, despite a lack of end product recently. 3 shots, 1 on target this week, plus 2 key passes. He is getting taken off between 60 & 70 minutes of games at the moment though, so we’re seeing less chance of a return. Pedro Neto (£5.5m) on the left flank is looking more stable in the line up, getting to 90 minutes more often. Wolves aren’t prolific goalscorers however, so interest in their assets aside from Jimenez is understandably quiet. The only Palace midfielder currently worth consideration is Wilfried Zaha (£7.3m). He was very impressive against Fulham with 4 shots, all in the box, and 3 on target, plus a nifty assist for Palace’s first goal. But I urge caution with it. In gameweeks 1-5, Palace ranked bottom for shots (32), bottom for shots on target (10) and 2nd from bottom for shots in the box (22). In gameweek 6 against Fulham, they recorded 14 shots, 10 on target (doubling their total for the season) and 11 shots were in the box. For me personally, this game against Wolves is more of an indicator to show if we can trust Zaha or not. It’s one thing doing it against Fulham, but he needs to deliver constantly. Against Brighton he had a non penalty xG of 0.00, for example. 5 goals (2 penalties) and an assist is a good start though.

Forwards:

Raul Jimenez (£8.5m) keeps ticking over nicely, with 4 goals in 6 games. I’m starting to wonder if that is enough though, especially at his price point. We’ve got the likes on Bamford and Antonio at a cheaper price point with similar FPL points and returns. I’m not saying he’s a bad asset, I just think at the moment, we can get similar returns for less money. I’m tempted to hold him for this game, as only Newcastle and Leeds have conceded more shots & shots in the box than Palace, but then I could move to someone with more favourable fixtures. Michy Batshuayi (£5.8m) has 2 assists in 2 starts and will hope that is enough to get him another start this week. He’s currently not an FPL asset worth targeting in my opinion.

Can Wilf keep it up?

Sheffield United vs Man City

Goalkeepers:

Aaron Ramsdale (£4.9m) saved 3 of the 5 shots on target he faced against Liverpool, but in truth it could’ve been worse. Mo Salah had a goal ruled out for being offside and also hit the post. Ramsdale is 4th overall for saves, with 21 from 31 shots on target, but is yet to keep a clean sheet. I’d imagine that continues against City this weekend. Only Leeds and Liverpool have had more shots than City so far, and that’s despite City having played a game less. Their conversion hasn’t been great though, with only 28 shots of 80 being on target, but I’d still bet on them finding the net here. Ederson (£6m) has saved 12 of 20 shots on target faced so far, but could do little about Antonio’s overhead kick in the 1-1 draw with West Ham. He did save the other shot on target West Ham had. Only 6 teams have had less shots than SHU, only 3 teams have had less shots on target against them and only 5 have had less shots in the box. City have conceded the 3rd least shots, 3rd least shots in the box and joint 4th least shots on target.

Defenders:

Despite an improved showing against Liverpool, I’m not currently considering any SHU defensive assets. One player I am looking at though, is Joao Cancelo (£5.4m). Highlighted last week playing in a more advanced role, he impressed me this week from left back, playing 2 passes and getting the assist for Foden’s goal. He also had 2 shots himself, albeit they were off target. Assuming he starts, him and Kyle Walker (£6m) will likely come up against Enda Stevens (£5.3m) and George Baldock (£5.4m), assuming Stevens goes back to the wing (he played centre back against Liverpool). Looking at chance creation, City create most of their chances centrally (46%) with 30% coming from the left flank and 24% coming from the right flank. SHU create 42% of their chances on their right flank, with 33% on the left flank and 25% created centrally.

SHU are out on their own for chances conceded on the right flank with 30 over 6 games. Leicester are the next highest on 25. Only Fulham and Crystal Palace have conceded more chances on the left flank. Whilst City mainly create centrally, I think they can get joy down both sides in this game. If Cancelo is likely to start, he could be a great option. City concede more chances on their left (14) than their right flank (10). So, if it is Cancelo starting, he’ll need to ensure he doesn’t get caught too high up. SHU are also top for headed goal attempts conceded, so someone like Ruben Dias (£5.5m) or Aymeric Laporte (£6m – if fit) could find joy from set pieces.

Midfielders:

Kevin De Bruyne (£11.5m) came off of the bench against West Ham and immediately requires your attention. Arguably the best Midfielder in FPL, he took City up a notch and reminded us all why he can be a set and forget in our teams. At time of writing he is 15.3% owned and this is only going to increase now that he’s back to fitness. Raheem Sterling (£11.6m) poor touch let him down this weekend, but he is still in form and with Aguero being injured, we could see him playing up front again. Whilst he’s only had 12 shots (5 on target, 8 in the box) he is a key asset in one of the best teams in the league, and a haul is never far away. Phil Foden (£6.6m) also came off of the bench against West Ham and it was him that got the equalising goal. He is still looking like incredible value and as he showed this weekend, even if he isn’t starting he can still produce. We have to include Riyad Mahrez (£8.5m) as well, as he looked a threat once more against West Ham. Both of his shots were in the box and on target and he is yet another City midfielder that can haul at any given moment. Whilst Ben Osborn (£4.9m) looked good against Liverpool, I don’t consider him or any other SHU midfielders as FPL assets right now.

Forwards:

With Sergio Aguero (£10.4m) injured once more, we’d expect Sterling to play up front again for City. Ollie McBurnie (£5.7m) got the “assist” for the goal as it was him that was “fouled” for the penalty. Again, not an FPL asset as it stands. Rhian Brewster (£4.5m) started but didn’t get a shot off. Whilst he’s a great enabler, I can’t see him getting much against City.

Burnley vs Chelsea

Goalkeepers:

Nick Pope (£5.5m) made 2 saves from 3 shots on target in a narrow defeat to Spurs. Burnley as a whole did well to nullify Spurs attack, restricting them to 9 shots all game. That takes him to 13 saves from 21 so far this season. This week he faces a Chelsea side that are 5th for shots on target this season (30) and 5th for shots in the box (47). You’d expect Chelsea to be more attacking in this game than they were against Man United, so Burnley will need to offer similar resistance again to keep themselves in the game. Edouard Mendy (£5m) kept more clean sheets both domestically and in the CL this week, although he wasn’t without his moments. A wayward pass to one of his defenders going out for a corner. Still, a more defensive minded Chelsea side held Man United to a 0-0 draw. United had an xG of 0.81, despite having 14 shots (7 on target). Mendy saved the 4 shots of those that got through to him, and is looking like a way more secure Keeper than Kepa (£4.8m) already. Burnley are ranked 17th for shots on target (18) and 18th for shots in the box (31). If Chelsea have found a new defensive resilience, Burnley may find it hard work scoring this week.

Defenders:

I’ll start with Reece James (£5m) purely because I own him, benched him, and he then started and got 8 points. In a week like this week has been, I am fuming. The problem we have is that he is looking to be rotation prone, whereas Ben Chilwell (£5.8m) is likely to be first choice all season at left back. James was the only Chelsea defender to register a shot this weekend, and the fact it was in the box reminds us of how far forward he can get. Chilwell registered 2 key passes as well. The Champions League game against Krasnodar will serve as a good indication of who will play against Burnley (note: James was rested). In terms of Chelsea’s chance creation, Chelsea are split evenly at 34% on each flank, and 32% of chances created being through the central channel. Whoever plays out of James and Cesar Azpiliceuta (£5.9m) will likely face off against Charlie Taylor (£4.5m) and whoever is fit of Phil Bardsley (£4.5m), Erik Pieters (£4.4m) or Matt Lowton (£4.4m). Looking at Burnley’s chance creation, 44.4% of their chances are created on their left flank (2nd behind Man United on 44.6%) with only 19.4% being created on their right flank. This could be due to the differing play styles of the different players Burnley have had to employ on that side.

When looking at chance concession, Burnley have conceded 18 chances on their left flank (7th) and 13 on their right flank (15th). It’s worth noting that 4 teams have conceded 19 chances on their left, so Burnley aren’t that far behind. Chelsea have conceded 16 chances on their left flank (10th) and 17 on their right flank (12th). Again, it looks like where Burnley’s left side is creating plenty, that is the side they are more likely to be beaten. Reece James would do more damage from right back in this respect. Comparing the players also highlights this:

You can see here, just how much more attacking threat James carries. He should be starting every game in my opinion, but Frank knows best.

For me, I think James is worth holding for now, but may be on the chopping block if the rotation becomes more frequent. Another player to highlight here is Kurt Zouma (£5.1m) who is the 3rd highest scoring defender in FPL so far. He looks like he has secured a spot in Lampard’s back line and if Chelsea can start keeping clean sheets regularly, he is a bargain. He offers decent chance at bonus and also has good attacking threat. Burnley have conceded the 3rd most FPL points to opposing defenders, and Chelsea defenders have scored the 2nd most FPL points, so a Chelsea clean sheet could be likely here.

Midfielders:

I’ll quickly just say that I don’t feel that any Burnley midfielders are FPL assets just yet, so we won’t go into detail on them here. Looking at the Chelsea options, Christian Pulisic (£8.3m) looked the most lively against Man United, with 3 shots, 2 in the box and 1 on target. His average position was just behind Timo Werner, who was the most advanced player for Chelsea. It’s worth noting here though that Chelsea were playing a bit more defensively this game, so their average position was deeper than normal. Kai Havertz (£8.4m) didn’t register a shot on target all game was only got 72 minutes of action. He did play 1 key pass and he’s made steady improvement recently though, so this could be a great game for him to get some attacking returns. Hakim Ziyech (£7.9m) got another 9 minute cameo and is one to keep an eye on if he can break his way into the starting line up. He also got a goal for Chelsea in the CL Wednesday night.

Forwards:

With the wealth of in-form options emerging around the £6.5m mark, and neither of them being Chris Wood (£6.3m) and Ashley Barnes (£6m), I won’t consider them too heavily here. At the price point of £6.3m and under, Wood is 7th for shots (12) 5th for shots on target (5), and 6th for shots in the box (4). Only 5 teams have conceded less shots on target than Chelsea (22), so I can’t see Burnley getting too many goals here. Timo Werner (£9.3m) had a quiet game against Man United, with only 1 shot registered. It could be expected that this is a prime spot for him to bounce back. Since GW2 (when Burnley played their first game), they are 9th for least shots on target conceded (21), 9th for least shots in the box conceded (36), and 5th for least shots conceded (51), so they’re not doing too badly defensively. Chelsea will need to work hard to break Burnley down. Note: Werner was on penalties with Jorginho off of the pitch in the CL game, scoring from the spot.

Liverpool vs West Ham

Goalkeepers:

It was good to see Alisson (£5.9m) back in goal for Liverpool, to hopefully try and reinforce them a little bit after losing Virgil van Dijk for the season. They found themselves behind pretty early on though, after Fabinho was adjudged to have fouled Ollie McBurnie on the penalty box line, with Sander Berge scoring the resulting penalty. Alisson saved the other shot on target he faced, which takes him to 6 saves from 11 shots on target in his 4 games. This week he faces a confident West Ham side who are 4th for shots in the box (54), 11th for shots on target (25) and 6th for overall shots taken (77). Liverpool themselves clearly haven’t been at their usual standard defensively. Only Fulham have conceded more big chances than them, with only 4 teams conceding more shots on target. Lukasz Fabianski (£5m) has saved 13 shots from 20 on target including 6 from 7 against Man City on the weekend. He also did well in restricting the likes of Raheem Sterling and forcing errors from the City strike force. This week though, he faces the team that are 1st for total shots (114), shots on target (41) and shots in the box (74). Defensively on the whole, West Ham have been solid. Only 5 teams have conceded less shots (62), only 3 teams have conceded less shots in the box (33) and only 3 teams have conceded less shots on target. Whilst this was similar to when they played Spurs and conceded 3, we know The Hammers have improved defensively, and this could be a really interesting game.

Defenders:

As always, we will start with Trent Alexander-Arnold (£7.4m) and Andy Robertson (£7.1m). Trent was unlucky not to get any returns yet again, supplying Mo Salah with a lovely little dinked assist before the goal was ruled out for offside, and also having an audacious shot from inside his own box saved. For the season, Trent leads the way for Defenders with 10 shots, leading Stevens of SHU who has 6. He has played 12 key passes (2nd behind Cresswell) and is also joint top for big chances created on 3, with Robbo. I’m confident Trent will haul soon. He looked lively and got an assist in the CL. Robertson has been excellent so far and is leading his comrade by 10 FPL points. I understand people going without them but it’s a risky play. In terms of Liverpool’s chance creation, Liverpool are bottom of the pile for chances created on theif left flank – with only 26%. With Robertson’s output this was a shock. 34% of their chances are still created on that right flank, so there is hope for Trent yet. This week they will face off against Vladimir Coufal (£4.5m) and Aaron Cresswell (£5m). West Ham’s chance creation looks like this: 39.7% down the left flank, 27.6% down the right flank. Cresswell has been West Ham’s most creative defender with 13 key passes, 2 big chances created and 3 assists, so this makes sense.

Looking at chance concession, Liverpool have conceded 17 chances down their left flank. Crystal Palace have conceded the most, on 25. On the right flank, Liverpool have only conceded 11 chances. Only Man City have conceded less, with 10. Only 4 teams have conceded less chances down the left flank than West Ham, who have conceded 11 (Brighton are bottom with 6). West Ham have conceded the 8th most chances on their right flank (21). So we have Cresswell not only creating lots down that left side but also shutting opponents down on his side. This indicates that Coufal is the West Ham defender to target for our FPL teams. We saw that Joao Cancelo had a decent amount of success attacking West Ham’s right flank, and we also saw Sergio Reguilon grab an assist from that flank the week before. So I think Andy Robertson will also be most likely to get success in this matchup. Note: Fabinho was injured in Liverpool’s CL game and could be out for a while, heightening the worries around Liverpool’s back line.

Midfielders:

Mo Salah (£12.4m) hit the post and had a goal disallowed in the game against SHU. 4 shots (3 in the box, 1 on target) but it could’ve been much more. Signs are encouraging though, coming into the West Ham game. One thing to note was that he was seen limping after the midweek CL game so keep an eye out for any injury news. Another interesting point of this game was that he took and scored the penalty even though Milner was on the pitch. Salah has looked hungry all season and both him and Hary Kane dominate the shots metrics. If he’s fit and starting, he’s a fine captaincy choice this week. Sadio Mane (£12m) got 2 assists against SHU. The first was a saved header that Firmino tapped in and the second was a peach of a cross for Diogo Jota (£6.3m). As highlighted above, the right flank of West Ham has been more susceptible to chance concession than their left flank, so Mane could do well once more. Speaking of Jota, he started against SHU as Liverpool moved to a 4-2-3-1 system. It looked disjointed to be fair, there was a lack of movement and fluidity about the front four. However, if Klopp continues to play this formation the movement will come, and I’d start considering Jota at his price. He scored again in the CL game and has impressed since starting. Jarrod Bowen (£6.3m) had a quiet game by his standards, and didn’t make the 70 minute mark. Aside from the goal, there wasn’t too much happening. West Ham only managed 6 shots all game, with Bowen and Pablo Fornals (£6.4m) both pretty quiet overall. Tomas Soucek (£4.9m) still looks to be decent value at his price point given his attacking output. Of his 15 goal attempts, 10 have been in the box. Only 3 on target, but the volume is there. Looking at his goal attempts map below, he is potentially worth a punt. With Liverpool’s defensive frailties it wouldn’t surprise me if West Ham get a goal or 2.

Courtesy of Fantasy Football Scout, you can see how attacking Soucek is. For a £4.9m midfielder, he could be a nice option.

Forwards: 

Roberto Firmino (£9.3m) got a goal!!!! It was a tap in from a rebounded save, but they all count. Could this be the start of him kicking into form? Probably not. I love the guy, but at his price point it’s a no from me. Michail Antonio (£6.3m) got another goal but came off again with a problem hamstring injury that he seems to be managing. He’s due a scan on it so hold fire on any transfers in/out for him. This might open the door for Sebastien Haller (£6.1m) and if the injury to Antonio is long term, he could be a decent option. In 50 minutes of play this season, he managed 3 shots (all in the box) 2 on target, 1 goal and 1 key pass.

Source: Eurosport.com

Aston Villa vs Southampton

Goalkeepers: 

Emi Martinez (£4.8m) has now made 20 saves from 26 shots on target, and still managed to come out of a 3-0 defeat to Leeds with 3 FPL points. For me he’s a set and forget. This week he comes up against a Southampton team that are 4th for shots on target (32) and 8th for shots in the box (46). The duo of Danny Ings and Che Adams are likely to test Martinez this week. Since Villa’s season started in GW2, they have conceded the 4th most shots (72), the most shots in the box (50) and the 5th most shots on target. For a team that’s only conceded 5 goals, have they been lucky? I think a lot of it is down to Martinez. Alex McCarthy (£4.5m) has saved 12 of 20 shots faced, conceding 9 goals. Since GW2, Villa are 7th for shots taken (70), 7th for shots on target (26) and 4th for shots in the box (46). Looking at Southampton over the same period of time, Southampton have conceded the 2nd least amount of shots (41), 4th least shots in the box, and 2nd least shots on target. This would indicate a Saints win with potential for a clean sheet. Another interesting battle is ahead in this game.

Defenders:

We’ve seen a lot of transfers in for Villa defensive assets, such as Ezri Konsa (£4.7m) prior to the Leeds game, and then they were turned over in dramatic form. Based on the above, it perhaps seems obvious. But if we look specifically at GW6, Leeds had 27 shots, 20 of which were in the box, and 9 shots on target. So, this game hugely inflates the Villa numbers. It also can show that if you can play with the same intensity that Leeds did against Villa, you can get opportunities. We’re going to get another look at Matt Targett (£4.5m) and Matty Cash (£5m) as the Villa fullbacks. They go up against Ryan Bertrand (£5m) and Kyle Walker-Peters (£4.5m) this week and as 2 pairs of players that like to attack, we could see a fascinating battle. Looking at chance creation for both teams, Villa are 9th for chance creation on the left flank (37.3%) and 14th for the right flank (27.1%). Southampton are 15th for chances created on the left flank (32.6%) and 6th for chances created on the right flank (32.6%), showing how balanced their attacking play down the wings is.

Looking at chance concession, Villa have conceded the 3rd most chances on their left flank (19) and the 13th most chances on their right flank (16). Southampton are 17th for chances conceded on their left flank (10) and 16th for chances conceded on the right flank (13). KWP vs Matt Targett could be a nice contest, with both teams higher in the chance creation stats on this side and both sides conceding more chances this side as well. However, The Saints are pretty low on both sides, which may go some way to showing that they’re trying to be more resolute defensively.

Midfielders:

Jack Grealish (£7.3m) was incredibly unlucky against Leeds and did much more than his 1 FPL point suggests. 2 shots both in the box and on target, and 2 big chances, including one shot cleared off the line, he is Villa’s talisman and well worth owning in my opinion. Ross Barkley (£6m) had another productive game, with 3 shots (1 on target), 4 key passes and 1 big chance created. If you can’t stretch to Grealish, both Barkley and John McGinn (£5.5m) are good options. Since GW2, no midfielder at £5.5m and under has more assists than McGinn (4). There aren’t many Saints midfielders worth inclusion in our FPL teams right now, but shoutout to James Ward-Prowse (£5.8m) who got his first goal of the season against Everton. On set pieces, if he starts to produce more regularly, he could be an option going forward.

Forwards:

Whilst (if money was no object) my clear choice would be Danny Ings (£8.5m), Che Adams (£5.8m) is certainly worth a shout if you need a cheaper striker. They are practically neck and neck for stats, but Ings has been more clinical with his shots. Both have had 8 shots on target, but Ings has 4 goals to Adams 2. Whilst one of them has been penalties, they are almost a budget version of Kane and Son, as they have assisted each other on occasion. I’ve run a comparison of them below for you to review:

I think both are good options at the moment. As mentioned above, Villa have some encouraging shots concession stats as well. Ollie Watkins (£6m) had a fantastic game against Liverpool, but has dipped off again since then. 3 shots and 1 on target in his last 2 games, his season so far is more clearly explained using this FFhub graphic:

Ollie Watkins form so far. Courtesy of Fantasy Football Hub.

Based on that, he is currently off my watchlist, especially with the like of Adams and Bamford being in better form at a similar price. One thing going for him is his pace however, and with a lack of pace at the back for The Saints, he could be able to exploit the space in behind. With Jack Grealish playing him through, he might be able to get some opportunities.

Newcastle vs Everton

Goalkeepers: 

Karl Darlow (£5m) is still top of the save charts with 31 from 41 shots on target faced. He’ll be disappointed with himself however, to have not been able to keep out Raul Jimenez’ shot in the 1-1 draw with Wolves. He didn’t have a lot to do besides that vs Wolves, and this week he faces Everton, who have had the 6th most shots on target. We also need to consider here that Newcastle themselves have conceded the most shots (102), 2nd most shots in the box (56) and most shots on target (41). Only Harry Kane has had more shots on target than Dominic Calvert-Lewin (12) so it will be interesting to see who comes out on top here. Whilst Everton are slightly depleted this week, you’d expect them to create chances. Jordan Pickford (£5m) is still not an FPL asset you want to be considering, despite 18 saves from 27 shots on target. However, Newcastle have taken the 2nd least shots (49), have had the least shots on target (14) and had the 2nd least shots in the box (28). Everton are middle of the road for shots conceded (69) and shots conceded in the box (46) but are 5th overall for shots on target conceded (27). The chance for an Everton clean sheet is there.

Defenders:

We’ll take a look at the chance creation and chance concession here, but with Lucas Digne (£6.2m) and Seamus Coleman (£5m) both out, there aren’t many defenders from either team I’d recommend right now. Michael Keane (£5.1m) at a push, purely based on threat from set pieces, but that’s it.

Everton’s chance creation is broken down as follows: 34.5% on the left flank, 27.3% on the right flank and 38.2% centrally. Newcastle’s: 31.7% on the left, 29.3% on the right and 39% centrally. So we have 2 teams who’s majority of chance creation comes through the middle. This is probably more obvious for Everton than it is for Newcastle, as James Rodriguez has been in great form since he signed. While Callum Wilson leads the way for Newcastle on 7 key passes, Allan Saint-Maximin has 6 key passes and has created 2 big chances. He doesn’t really have a static position on the pitch.

Looking at chance concession, Newcastle are 5th for most chances conceded on their left flank (19) and 6th for chances conceded on their right flank (23). They are 2nd for chances conceded centrally on 33. Everton are 12th for chances conceded on the left flank (14) and 9th for chances conceded on the right (19). They are 11th for chances conceded centrally. Given that Everton’s fullbacks are both out of the game, the wings could be Newcastle’s best bet this weekend.

Midfielders:

James Rodriguez (£8m) is the key to unlocking the door if Everton want any success this week. 2nd overall for big chances created (5) and only behind Bruno Fernandes for kay passes (17), we know he’s the one that will create for Everton. The problem is Newcastle know that as well and will likely key in on him to limit his control of the game. With both Digne and Richarlison banned, goal threat is significantly reduced, as we saw against Southampton. In respect to Newcastle midfielders, Allan Saint-Maximin (£5.3m) is likely the one to go for if you’re interested in Newcastle midfielders, especially if he plays up front again like he did in the Wolves game. However, there are better options at a similar price point right now. There aren’t any other midfielders in either team that I’m considering for FPL at the moment.

Forwards:

With Richarlison (£7.8m) banned for the next 2 games, Everton depend on Dominic Calvert-Lewin (£7.7m) leading the line. He’s been tremendous so far, with 7 league goals in 6 games. Of all forwards, he is 5th for most shots (20) 2nd overall for shots on target (12) and 4th for shots in the box (17). As per the above, Newcastle themselves have conceded the most shots (102), 2nd most shots in the box (56) and most shots on target (41). I just worry that with a lack of creative outputs behind him, Newcastle can lock in on him and James to restrict their attacking flow. Callum Wilson (£6.5m) has performed admirably in a side that are lacking in attacking impetus. 4 goals and 2 assists in 6 games is a great start, and with Everton missing 2 key defensive players, he could very well nick a goal here. With cheaper options in more attacking sides doing well however, he could see his place in FPL teams in jeopardy soon.

Man United vs Arsenal

Goalkeepers: 

David de Gea (£5.4m) kept his first clean sheet of the season in a dire 0-0 draw with Chelsea. He saved the only shot on target he faced, taking him to 12 saves from 23 shots on target faced for the season. This week he comes up against an Arsenal team that are 17th overall for shots taken (53), 12thfor shots on target (24) and 12th for shots in the box (38). Defensively, and from GW2 (when United played their first game), United are 7th for shots conceded (67), 5th for shots in the box conceded (44), and 8th for shots on target conceded (23). United are also top for big chances conceded on 15. Bernd Leno (£5m) has saved 15 shots from 22 shots on target he has faced, including saving 1 of 2 shots on target in the 1-0 defeat to Leicester. He faces a United team that, from GW2, are 5th for shots taken (71), 5th for shots on target (27), 11th for shots in the box (37). Defensively, Arsenal are 14th for shots conceded (65), 18th for shots in the box conceded (31) and 14th for shots on target conceded (22) for the season so far. They’ve also conceded 12 big chances in 6 games.

Defenders:

If I’m honest, there aren’t really many/any United or Arsenal defensive assets wowing me right now. I want to see a bit more from United in terms of defensive solidity before investment. If Alex Telles (£5.5m) starts playing, he will go on the watchlist. The same applies to Arsenal in the main, but Hector Bellerin (£5m) is one to monitor. He’s set up a couple of goals so far and always shows attacking intent, often reaching the back post from a cross off of the left flank. Anyway, lets look at chance creation and chance concession.

Man United are top for chance creation on the left flank with 44.6%. Contrastingly, they are bottom for chances created on the right flank (17.9%). 37.5% of their chances are created centrally. With this level of chance creation and Telles being a left back, I would need to consider him when he starts getting minutes. Arsenal are 3rd overall for chances created on their left flank (42.5%) and are 11th for chances created on the right flank (27.5%), with 30% coming centrally. This goes with the notion that Bellerin is known to get on the end of crosses from the left.

In terms of chance concession, Man United are 18th for chances conceded on their left side. They are 7th for chances conceded on their right side, and 4th for chances conceded centrally. So not only do they create plenty on the left side, they don’t concede a lot down that side either. They don’t create much on the right and concede a lot of chances down that side. Arsenal are 11th for chances conceded on the left, 18th for chances conceded on the right, and 8th for chances conceded centrally. So this week we have the top team for chances created on their left, vs the 18th team conceding on their right. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Midfielders:

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (£11.7m) has started playing more centrally in recent games and this is something worth keeping an eye on. His stats aren’t warranting his price tag right now, but if he starts playing upfront and registering more shots etc, we may be tempted back to him. Bukayo Saka (£5.3m) has started the last 3 games and in that time he has the same amount of shots Aubameyang has had all season. In the game against Leicester his average position was the highest in the team. If he manages to nail a spot he’s worth inclusion in our FPL teams on price tag alone. Bruno Fernandes (£10.5m) can create something out of nothing in any game he plays, so he always warrants consideration. Even in a 0-0 vs Chelsea he managed to take 3 shots and play 4 key passes. Marcus Rashford (£9.5m) made Mendy produce a smart save in this game as well, and especially as an “OOP” forward he is worth a shout. I personally think he plays better up front, and in 2 games playing up top he has had 10 shots with 6 on target.

Saka is one to keep an eye on if he can nail down a starting spot. Courtesy of Fantasy Football Scout.

Forwards:

With Anthony Martial (£8.8m) suspended for one more week, we will either see Rashford continue up top, or Edinson Cavani (£8m) will get his first start. In 32 minutes against Chelsea, he had 2 shots in the box, and United will hope he is a good option for them. Alexandre Lacazette (£8.4m) came back into the starting line up against Leicester and had 2 shots in the box, with 1 on target. He will hope to retain his place but whilst there is uncertainty, he isn’t an FPL asset to consider.

Spurs vs Brighton

Goalkeepers: 

Huge Lloris (£5.5m) kept his first clean sheet of the season in a 1-0 win over Burnley last week. He has now saved 14 shots from 22 shots on target faced. This week he faces a Brighton side that are 4thfor shots taken (80), 13th for shots on target (23) and 7th for shots in the box (46). Defensively, Spurs are 12th for shots conceded (66), 13th for shots in the box conceded (38) and 13th for shots on target conceded (22). They are also 11th for big chances conceded (9). Mat Ryan (£4.5m) has now saved 7 shots on target from 18 faced. Brighton have conceded 12 goals with an xGC of 6.9, indicating they have been unlucky to concede as many as they have. It likely doesn’t get much better for them this week, coming up against a Spurs side that are 3rd for shots taken (83), 2nd for shots on target (40), and 3rd for shots in the box (59). Defensively, Brighton have actually conceded the least shots so far this season, with 44. They have also conceded the least shots in the box (26) and least shots on target (18)! But only 3 teams have conceded more goals than them (West Brom, Fulham and Liverpool with 14). We had a similar battle when Spurs played West Ham and they scored 3 goals, so I’d expect Spurs to get a couple in this game too.

Defenders:

Seeing Sergio Reguilon (£5.6m) benched for the Burnley game has meant I’ve removed him from my watchlist. It appears that all of the Spurs backline could be rotated and as such, I can’t trust them as FPL assets. This is a shame as I’ve been impressed by Reguilon so far. Looking at Brighton, I’m still happy to own Tariq Lamptey (£4.5m) as he is still bombing forward and creating chances. He was unlucky not to get the assist against West Brom, as a double ricochet amongst the West Brom defenders meant he missed out. He does now have 2 yellow cards in 6 games though, and loves a tackle, so we may see him subbed on occasion to avoid sending offs. Ahead of a Spurs game, I’m not considering any other Brighton assets.

Looking at chance creation, 38.5% of Spurs chances are created on the left (8th), 26.2% on the right flank (16th) and 35.4% of chances created centrally (10th). Brighton create 32.1% of their chances on the left (16th), 33.9% on the right (4th) and 33.9% centrally (12th).

For chance concession. both Spurs and Brighton are the bottom 2 for chances conceded on their left flank (9 for Spurs, 6 for Brighton). On the right flank, Spurs are 14th, conceding 16 chances in 6 games and Brighton are 17th, conceding just 13 chances. 

A Son and Reguilon (if he starts) left flank is a key outlet for Spurs, but with Brighton so low down for chance concession on their right flank, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top. Equally, Brighton create a lot on that right flank and Spurs don’t concede a lot of chances there. You’d expect a side of Spurs quality to overcome Brighton though.

Midfielders:

Heung-Min Son (£9.5m) is as close to essential as you can get right now. The top scoring player in the game, with a whopping 56% ownership, he is in ridiculous form. 8 goals from 10 shots in target, with 2 assists to boot, he is absolutely lethal right now. Brighton have conceded the 2nd most FPL points to midfielders so far, and we could see more midfielder results against them here. Until we see Gareth Bale (£9.5m) starting regularly, I think he is a waste of a spot in our FPL squads right now. You’d hope he starts regularly soon as he’s clearly world class when fit. Leandro Trossard (£6m) had 2 shots, both on target against West Brom, but has underperformed in my eyes. I think we need to see some returns from him before we stick him in our FPL squads. I don’t think there are any other Brighton midfielders I want to own right now. Let’s see what another gameweek does for that opinion.

Forwards:

Harry Kane (£10.9m) is bossing it. On absolute fire. In the top players for shots metrics and leading the assist charts with 8. I don’t think I need to say much more than that. The only potential issue is if these Brighton shot concession stats mentioned above actually hold firm this week or not. Kane got a brace against a similarly stingy West Ham, so I think he’ll perform here. Neal Maupay (£6.6m) is 6th for shots overall of all strikers, 4th for shots on target and 6th for shots in the box. 4 goals isn’t a bad return, but none of these have come in his last 2 games. This is disappointing considering he’s played Crystal Palace and West Brom in these games. Spurs are joint 5th for most FPL points conceded to opposing forwards, so Maupay might be able to get a goal here.

Fulham vs West Brom

Goalkeepers: 

Alphonse Areola (£4.5m) is now 3rd for saves overall with 22 saves from 33 shots on target faced. Unfortunately this isn’t equating to many FPL points as Fulham are yet to keep a clean sheet. He might have a good opportunity this week though as he faces a West Brom team who are 18th for shots overall (49), 16th for shots on target (19) and bottom for shots in the box (24). Defensively though, Fulham are 7th for most shots conceded (73), 6th for most shots in the box conceded (51) and 2nd for most shots on target conceded. Sam Johnstone (£4.5m) got 5 points in the 1-1 draw with Brighton last week, earning 2 bonus points and a save point. He now has 26 saves from 38 shots on target. This week he plays a Fulham team who are 7th for shots taken (76), 14th for shots on target (22) and 10thfor shots in the box (44). Defensively, West Brom West Brom have conceded the 5th most shots (79), 5th most in the box (51) and 3rd most shots on target (38). I can’t work out how this one will go. 

Defenders:

There’s very little interest in any FPL assets of either Fulham or West Brom, but the return of Branislav Ivanovic (£4.5m) could appeal to some as a rotation option from the bench. 3 shots, 1 on target in 2 years has taken me back to his Chelsea years! A clean sheet followed by 2 points against Brighton means I add Conor Townsend (£4.5m) to Ivanovic above as ones to watch.

I know I go into chance creation and chance concession here normally, but with a lack of community interest in both teams from an FPL point of view, I’m going to skip it for this match. Apologies if you were looking forward to this!

Midfielders:

The only midfielder I’d consider right now from Fulham is Ademola Lookman (£5m). Of midfielders £5m and under from GW4 (Lookman’s first game), he’s top for shots (9), top for shots on target (3) and top for shots in the box (5). He’s a real bright spark and one to keep an eye on. West Brom have conceded the 4th most FPL points to midfielders so far. At West Brom, I’ll always retain interest from afar for Matheus Pereira (£6m) and Grady Diangana (£5.5m), but whilst they could have a good game against Fulham (Fulham have conceded the most FPL points to midfielders so far), they aren’t long term buys in my opinion.

Forwards:

Aleksandar Mitrovic (£5.8m) has had the 2nd most shots of all forwards (26) but only 8 shots on target and only 2 goals. If you have him, give him this game and then it might be wise to move him on. I certainly wouldn’t buy him at the moment. Karlan Grant (£6m) got his first goal against Brighton but only had that 1 shot all game. Callum Robinson (£5.5m) came off of the bench to get the assist, but neither are FPL assets right now.

Leeds vs Leicester

Goalkeepers:

Illan Meslier (£4.5m) kept a clean sheet against Aston Villa Friday night, to take him to 2 for the season. He also picked up a save point for making 3 saves, taking him to 16 saves from 25 shots on target faced. This week he plays a Leicester side that are 15th for shots taken (55), 8th for shots on target (27) and 13th for shots in the box (37). Defensively, Leeds have conceded the 2nd most shots (92), the most shots in the box (60) and the 10th most shots on target. It’s clear Leeds will concede shots, it’s up to Leicester to ensure they are testing the keeper. Kasper Schmeichel (£5.5m) got a 10 pointer against Arsenal, picking up a clean sheet, max bonus and a save point. 4 saves from 4 shots on target take him to 17 saves from 25 shots on target. This week he comes up against an impressive Leeds side who are 2nd for shots taken (85), 3rd for shots on target (37) and 2nd for shots in the box (65). Defensively, Leicester have conceded the 6th most shots (75), they are 10th for shots in the box conceded (46) and 9th for shots on target conceded (25). I’ll be interested to see what Brendan Rodgers has up his sleeve to try and deal with Leeds this week.

Defenders:

This week, we saw Stuart Dallas (£4.5m) play at right back and Luke Ayling (£4.5m) play centre back. Dallas was amongst the shots yet again, with 2, 1 in the box and 1 on target. Ezgjan Alioski (£4.4m) played at left back, and he also had 2 shots, 1 in the box and 1 on target. He also played 4 key passes and created a big chance. He isn’t a regular starter however. This week, the Leeds fullbacks (whoever they are this week) will likely be up against James Justin (£4.8m) and Timothy Castagne (£5.8m). Both of these guys have had a good start to the season, but Castagne has gone off the boil in recent games in terms of his attacking returns.

Having a look at each teams chance creation, Leeds are 10th for chances created on their left flank (35.8%), 17th for the right flank (25.4%) and 5th for chances created centrally (38.8%) Leicester are 13th for chance creation on the left flank (33.3%), 13th on the right flank (27.3%) and 3rd for chances created centrally (39.4%). From analysing this, it’s clear both teams primary source of creation comes through the middle.

In terms of chance concession, only Fulham and Crystal Palace (20 & 25) have conceded more chances down their left flank than Leeds (19). They are 11th for chances conceded down their right flank (17) and they have conceded the most chances centrally of the whole league (34). Leicester are 15th for chances created down their left flank (12), 2nd for chances conceded on the right flank with 25 (only SHU with 30 have conceded more) and 9th centrally, with 19. Based on this, I’d assume that whoever Leeds deploy on the left side will likely get some joy against Castagne, as we know he likes to play in an advanced position. For Leicester, their best bet appears to be playing through the central channel, as they create a lot there and Leeds concede a lot of chances there.

Midfielders:

Harvey Barnes (£7m) has had 4 blanks in a row since a 13 pointer against Burnley in gameweek 2. Since then, he’s had 5 shots and only 2 on target. In his first 2 games he totalled 10 shots. For now, he is off my watchlist. This may be a good game for Leicester midfielders to produce in given the nature of Leeds style of play, but for now, I don’t feel like any of them are FPL assets. In the last 4 gameweeks, Jack Harrison (£5.5m) has played 13 key passes and created 3 big chances, with 1 assist. In the last 2 gameweeks, he is top of all midfielders at £5.5m and under for key passes, with 8, and has created 2 big chances, also top. Leeds have so much creativity in their midfield that any given one of them can pop up in a game, but Harrison and Helder Costa (£5.7m) are my favourite 2.

Forwards:

Jamie Vardy (£10m) came back from injury to grab the winner against Arsenal. This is only his 2nd goal from open play, as the other 4 have been penalties. Typically a stat buster, he’s only had 9 shots, 7 of which have been on target, but I wouldn’t bet against him hitting the target again this week. Patrick Bamford (£5.9m) exploded against Villa Friday night, helping himself to a hat trick. His first goal was from a rebounded save but the next 2 were absolute class. Of all forwards, Bamford is 3rd overall for shots (23), 3rd for shots on target (11) and 2nd for shots in the box with 20. At his price point, everything is pointing towards him being a great option right now.

Source: talksport.com

So there we have it! As always I hope it’s been useful! Below are my picks t each position this week:

  • Goalkeeper: Ederson – Only 6 teams have had less shots than SHU, only 3 teams have had less shots on target against them and only 5 have had less shots in the box. City have conceded the 3rd least shots, 3rd least shots in the box and joint 4th least shots on target.
  • Defender: Andy Robertson – I’m going to roll with Robbo again this week. West Ham have conceded the 8th most chances down their right flank, and we saw that Joao Cancelo had a decent amount of success attacking West Ham’s right flank, and we also saw Sergio Reguilon grab an assist from that flank the week before. So I think Andy Robertson will also be most likely to get success in this matchup.
  • Midfielder: Heung-Min Son – Brighton have conceded the 2nd most FPL points to midfielders so far, and Son is in ridiculous form.
  • Forward: Dominic Calvert-Lewin – Newcastle have conceded the most shots (102), 2nd most shots in the box (56) and most shots on target (41).

Good luck all, and may your arrows be green!

@RichP_FPL

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s